NSSLHA Newsletter — October 2020
A Look Back on Our Past Month:
This month we’ve done tons of fun things! Our big even was our first ever Freshman Mixer! It was filled with exciting events such as rock painting, Kahoot quizzes, ice breakers (and social distancing of course!) We had a virtual movie night and watched Hocus Pocus to get in the ~spooky~ mood and we even put together a couple of virtual fundraisers via Instagram! We created an Instagram bingo board for the Down Syndrome Association of Wisconsin and we held a virtual Halloween costume contest. SO much fun, what a month!!
Q&A With Dr. Patterson:
Each new month NSSLHA is going to feature a professor from within our department here at Marquette. For the month of October we are honored to highlight Dr. Patterson!
1. What is your job title and what courses at Marquette do you teach within the Speech Pathology and Audiology Department?
I’m the assistant chair in the Department of Speech Pathology and Audiology. I teach SPPA 3510, 4520, 4530, and 4965.
2. Why did you decide to get into the profession?
I’ve always been a fan of puzzles so the diagnostic and problem-solving aspect of audiology is so intriguing to me because it feels like you’re solving a puzzle with every patient. I also love establishing relationships with patients who range in age from tiny babies to older adults!
3. What is your favorite thing about the profession and teaching at Marquette?
Teaching students about the amazing auditory system!
4. Please tell us one fun fact about yourself!
I grew up in Holland Michigan and went to a school where Dutch dancing was a varsity sport 😊
5. Advice for students continuing their education and careers in Speech Pathology and Audiology?
Always look for the value in what you’re learning and relate it to something personal or important to you. Take every opportunity you can and go into them with an open mind!
Mark Your Calendars…
Upcoming NSSLHA Meetings:
- 11/11 Grad school info panel
- 11/19 Grad student panel
- Week of 12/1 Meeting
- Follow us on Instagram @mu_nsslha to stay updated on fundraisers and contests!
Feel free to reach out to any of the E-Board members or send an email to marquetteNSSLHAchapter@gmail.com with any of your comments, questions, or concerns!
Thank you for reading! Wear your mask, study hard, and VOTE!